Monday, March 14, 2011

Sundried Tomato & Spinach Turkey Burgers


I made these turkey burgers the other night and they are DELISH. So yummy and easy. Here's what you need:

1 lb ground turkey
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes (jarred, in oil)
1/2 cup spinach leaves, plus a few extra
Red pepper flakes
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Season salt
Dried parsley
4 buns (I used whole wheat)
4 slices of fresh mozzerella
1-2 tablespoons butter/margarine

To make:


  1. Add sundried tomatos and spinach leaves to a food chopper and pulse until combined (the end result will look like pesto). If you don't have a food chopper, just chop the ingredients by hand until very fine.

  2. Combine the ground turkey, tomato/spinach mixture and seasoning in a large bowl. I don't have any specific measurements for the seasonings- I just added what I thought looked good... I would estimate about 1/2 tsp of each.

  3. Divide into four patties. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet and cook the burgers until complete (about 6-7 minutes on each side). Once they're cooked, add the mozzerella cheese and melt.

  4. Melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a seperate pan. Slice the buns and toast face down until just brown.

  5. Spread either dijon mustard, honey mustard, or ketchup (or nothing! whatever floats your boat) onto the buns. Top with the turkey patty and a couple spinach leaves.

SO GOOD.

*Originally, this recipe called for feta cheese to be added to the sundried tomato/spinach mixture (no mozzerella). When I went to use my feta, it smelled a little funk so I improvised with the mozzerella. But I'm sure it would be really good with the feta as well! I believe it called for 1/2 cup crumbled feta- pulse with the tomatos and spinach and mix into the ground turkey.

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight with a portobello mushroom bun and it was so delicious. I put fresh garlic in the processor with the spinach and red pepper... so spicy and good.

    ReplyDelete